UBM SELLS STAKE IN CHINESE TRADE SHOW

Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn
United Business Media is has raised US$5m for growth this year by selling its share in a Chinese optoelectronics show.The international exhibition organiser has now offloaded its 70 per cent stake in the China International Optoelectronic Expo (CIOE) trade show to eMedia Asia; a joint venture between UBM and B2B media company Global Sources. The remaining 30 per cent interest in CIOE continues to be retained by the other joint venture partner, Shenzhen Herong Exhibition Industrial."We are pleased to complete the transfer of our stake in CIOE to our eMedia joint venture,” says president and CEO of UBM Asia, Jime Essink. “The show has performed well this year and we look forward to its continued successful development."CIOE was established in 1999 and is held annually in Shenzhen. The 2009 event attracted more than 2,000 exhibitors. Global Sources' chairman and CEO, Merle Hinrichs, says: “According to the China Optics and Optoelectronic Manufacturers Association, the production value of China's optoelectronics industry is expected to increase to US$45bn by 2010, or 10 per cent of the global market share.”
Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn

Related Stories

Elsewhere on EN

Less than a week until 2017 EN Awards!

Less than a week until 2017 EN Awards!

The 11th annual EN Awards are gearing up to be the biggest night of celebration in the exhibition industry calendar, as the clock counts down to Thursday 30 March.
Movers & Shakers 22/03/17

Movers & Shakers 22/03/17

People moves at ExCeL London, Blitz|GES and more
New network for young #eventprofs launches

New network for young #eventprofs launches

A new network aimed at young professionals in the business events industry has been launched, in the form of Meetings + Millennials.

CONFEX 2017 LIVE

Most read Stories

And the #ENAwards finalists are…

And the #ENAwards finalists are…

The countdown timer has run out. After weeks of companies submitting award entries and sweating over it, there is just one thing left to do before the big night: Announce the shortlist.
EN Awards People Finalists revealed

EN Awards People Finalists revealed

The first group of the highly anticipated shortlist for the EN Awards has been announced, including Best Newcomer and Best Event Director categories.
Reactions from events industry following Britain’s vote to leave EU

Reactions from events industry following Britain’s vote to leave EU

As the UK has voted to leave the European Union with a 52 per cent majority result, EN has spoken to members of the exhibition and events industry, to gauge their initial reactions on the future of the UK and their businesses.

Latest Features

2 Minutes With Emily Shaw

2 Minutes With Emily Shaw

The new strategy director at FreemanXP talks rigour, empathy and Sharpies in all the colours of the rainbow.
The Wheel Deal

The Wheel Deal

What do you get when you cross a Hollywood film studio with a UK event organiser? A £25m deal and the launch of Fast & Furious Live of course...
Always have a back-up

Always have a back-up

In EN’s monthly Crisis Management column, Manny Singh, managing director of The National Asian Wedding Show, advocates the importance of having back-up systems in place.

Latest Galleries

London Book Fair 2017

London Book Fair 2017

From 14 to 16 March, more than 25,000 visitors from over 130 countries visited Olympia London for the 46th edition of The London Book Fair. A year of celebration, highlights included a tribute to The Wizard of Oz’s yellow brick road, the 20th anniversary of Harry Potter, 70 years of Indian independence and much more.
LondonEdge celebrates 35th show

LondonEdge celebrates 35th show

Alternative fashion show LondonEdge returned to the Business Design Centre on 12-13 February, celebrating its 35th edition.
Crufts 2017

Crufts 2017

Pedigree dog show, Crufts, once again celebrated all that is great about dogs when it returned to the NEC on 9-12 March. The show attracts around 22,000 dogs annually from around the world, competing for a place in the prestigious Best in Show final.

Latest Opinions

Positive challenges ahead

Positive challenges ahead

Chris Criscione, ESSA board chair and managing director Equinox Design looks ahead to ESSA’s next decade.
Don't knock it

Don't knock it

New technologies always seem outlandish, until they don’t, says Simon Clayton, chief ideas officer at RefTech.
Good practice with data

Good practice with data

Simon Clayton, chief ideas officer at RefTech, on being open, transparent, and accurate about what you are doing with the data you handle.